Unit 1 Project Draft- Ian Teng
I began playing soccer at the age of 6, but it took me a long time to convince my parents to let me choose soccer over basketball.
Initially, adapting to the sport and fitting into the soccer community proved to be challenging. I switched between several soccer clubs in Beijing as I was eager to find the one that suited me best and would help me improve as a player. However, this constant change made it difficult for me to form lasting friendships within the teams, and it even made me consider quitting the sport altogether.
After joining Sport Beijing, I remained with the club for 5 years, finally feeling like I belonged in the soccer community. Nevertheless, I still believed I wasn't truly knowledgeable or proficient in the sport I loved.
Upon moving back to Taipei, it took me 2 years to find a club that I was content with. Joining AC Taipei, a club dedicated to developing young players in various aspects of the game with the goal of reaching D1 in Taiwan, significantly boosted my confidence in my soccer skills. This newfound confidence led me to enjoy the game much more and made me feel literate and fluent in soccer, something I hadn't felt before.
After the COVID lockdown was lifted, my high school soccer team participated in the IASAS soccer tournament, a goal we had been working towards for over 3 years. We ultimately won the entire tournament, which was a significant achievement for us.
After winning the tournament it made me realize that I wanted to play soccer in college as well.

I like your descriptive aspect of this piece, I just think this should be formulated from bullet points to more of a paragraphed format.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate how you love your sport and the passion we both share for our respective sports.
-Andrew
I enjoyed reading this piece and I can definitely understand where you are coming from when you say the sense of belonging within a team. The ups and downs of trying to find the community where you can thrive in can be a struggle. There is still a lot of things that you can talk about in this writing. You can talk about your soccer journey in college and how that can be a big shift from playing in Taiwan to the United States
ReplyDelete- Yo Abe
DeleteThis is a great rough draft. It is easy to see the progression that you have made and how far you have come as an athlete. The parts that show the different places you moved to for soccer show your dedication and commitment which is extremely important in my opinion. I also think you including an emotional aspect within the writing is great. I would suggest adding more about how you were feeling throughout the course of your story to show your emotional progression. -Carlee
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteWhat you have included about your feelings and emotions did a great job pulling the reader in. I also think that in your essay expanding on the places you went would be very interesting. -Carlee
DeleteI think you can also try to go in depth with each part of your own story. - Andrew
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteIan, I can relate to this very much. I grew up playing soccer at a young age and had to convince my parent's to switch from playing soccer my whole life to playing travel basketball. These types of decisions are not always easy but I'm glad you found happiness in yours.
-Ryan Curwin